Monday, June 6, 2011

A Lofty Goal

This is my attempt to prepair myself for Graduate School. At this moment in time, I feel that I am going to be eaten alive by my Professors. I have devised a plan that, while it may not actually prepair me, it will atleast make me feel more prepaired. And since we live in our minds, thats all that really matters, right.... right guys??? Since that previous statement is probably BS, lets just hope this works! But first, some 'splainin...

My name is Rachael, I am about to start Graduate School at Wichita State University, with the aim of getting my Masters in Cultural Anthropology. I <3 Anthropology! I flopped around as an Undergrad for 6 years. I had 3 majors before finally realizing I was born to do Anthro! I was an Art Major, a Secondary Education Major, first with a focus on English, then History/Social Studies.  For the Social Studies aspect, I had to take two Anthro classes, and now, I sit here 3 years later about to start Grad School. I am both excited, and nervous.

As an Undergrad, Grad students always had a cool air about them. They seemed so advanced and sage-like, in much the same way that as a 9th grader, the Seniors seemed so smart and big. But once I became a Senior myself, I felt the same as I did as a freshman, like I still had so much further to go, and so much to learn. I feel like I should know so much more than I do now. Which brings me to the entire point of this Blog...

My goal for this summer (among many other goals I have for myself, which I may or may not expand upon in this Blog) is to read atleast one academic article a week, and post my review/ highlights of. I also plan on reading a few other larger works, which include Myth and Meaning, Totemism (Both Levi-Strauss), and a few other Anthropology books. This will force me not only to read, but to comprehend, and then to retell it to others. I feel confident that I can do this, for I am also working on my organizing and scheduling skills this summer, of which this is a part of. I also am confident that in 10 weeks, when I start grad school, I will feel much better about it.

I welcome anyone else to join in my efforts, read the same article and post your comments, or read and review others, and post a link to yours in the comment thread! And they don't just have to be Anthro! Psychology, Sociology, whatever! Theres to much division in Academia these days!
So lets get to it!

1 comment:

  1. There is too* much division in Academia these days.

    silly me.

    ReplyDelete